Creamy White Wine Pasta
I really love alfredo pasta and I have tried all the premade vegan alfredo sauces and I am just not a fan.
So the time had come to just make an alfredo sauce from scratch! Naturally I opened up Pinterest to look for some pinspiration and came across THE talented Minimalist Baker and this amazing recipe!
Seriously check out her recipes, they are to-die!
This pasta is creamy and vegan cheesey and everything in between. I LOVE it! Oh, and did I mention you need to open a bottle of Chardonnay to make it... so you have a great excuse to drink! #momwin
Stefan and I are currently at his parents house in Ohio so I made this for his entire family and it was a hit! I know you will love it too!
One of the best parts about this recipe is that most of the ingredients you probably already have and the rest can easily be picked up a Whole Foods, so let's get right into it!
P.S. This could be a great New Years Eve dinner if you are staying in with the family! I doubled the recipe and there was TONS!
What you need:
For the Brussels
- 16oz of brussels sprouts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
For the pasta + sauce
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/3 cup of Chardonnay
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- sea salt + black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan (plus you'll want more to garnish)
- 10 ounces of vegan pasta
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and add Brussels sprouts to a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, and season generously with salt and pepper and toss. Arrange in a single layer and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (for cooking the pasta) and salt generously.
- Heat a large rimmed skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil and garlic. Sauteé for 3 minutes or slightly golden brown, then add the Chardonnay. Be careful - it may flame, but only briefly. Stir and sauté for 2-4 minutes. Add cornstarch and whisk, then add almond milk and whisk. At this point, it will be very clumpy - this is normal. Transfer to a high speed blender and add nutritional yeast, salt + pepper, and vegan parmesan cheese. Blend on high until creamy and smooth. I used my Nutribullet for this!
- Taste test. You can add more vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast for cheesiness, or salt and pepper for more overall flavor.
- Transfer sauce back to the skillet and warm over medium-low heat until bubbly while whisking. The sauce should thicken, at which point you can lower the heat to low and simmer until pasta is cooked. If it looks too thick, thin with almond milk. If too thin, increase heat to medium to encourage thickening.
- Add Brussels sprouts to the oven and cook for 12-15 minutes or until slightly golden brown and tender.
- Around this time, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions.
- Once cooked, drained pasta and add directly to the sauce, along with half of the Brussels sprouts and toss to combine.
- You can serve with remaining Brussels sprouts and additional vegan parmesan cheese for flavor. I did add red chili flakes as well! I like to kick it up a notch in the spice department!
The recipe serves 2-4. I doubled it for my husband's family and it was more than enough for 8 people!