Vegan Lentil Loaf
As requested by a lot of you lovely mamas here is the recipe for the lentil loaf I made the other night and shared on facebook.
I have never made a lentil loaf before and I was pleasantly surprised how delicious this was!
I know in our house eating the same few things all the time can get boring so I was glad to mix it up!
So that is why I love Pinterest! I came across this recipe from Pumpkin and Peanut butter and altered it just a little, but did follow her directions to a T.
Here's what you'll need:
- 2 cups green lentils, cooked (about ¾ cup dry green lentils)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 heaping tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari, if gluten free)
- 1 ¼ tsp thyme
- 1 cup of old fashioned oats, divided
- ½ cup almond meal
For The Glaze
- ½ cup organic ketchup
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (I used a little less)
- 1 tsp stadium mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and cover a baking sheet in parchment paper or foil. Mix the glaze up in a little bowl and set aside.
2. In a large pan, heat olive oil and sauté diced onion over medium high heat until tender. Add in carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add in the sliced mushrooms and sauté until all the vegetables are tender (5-10 minutes), then remove from heat.
3. Next, pour the cooked vegetables into a food processor with 1¼ cups of the cooked lentils, ½ cup oats, tomato paste, soy sauce, thyme, and salt and pepper. Process for just a few seconds until the ingredients are combined, but not completely pureed. You want them to still have a chunky texture. Pour the contents into a large mixing bowl, then add in the rest of the lentils, oats, and almonds meal. Stir the ingredients together until they are completely combined and are sticking together well.
4. Use your hands to form the mixture into a large ball, then place the ball onto the covered baking sheet. Form the ball into a loaf shape about 8-10 inches long and 4 inches wide.
Spread half the glaze on the loaf, then bake for 30 minutes. Pull the loaf out of the over and covered with the remainder of the glaze, then bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. The loaf is done when a form comes out clean. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing, otherwise it will not cut clean.
I made a spinach and avocado salad to go with it! But I am sure mashed cauliflower potatoes would be thebomb.com
I hope you enjoy.