Ok, here we are again Mama, yesterday we tackled 5 ways to cut meat from your diet and now, dairy! Honestly I think dairy is one of the freakiest things out there. It's a beautiful thing for baby cows who need to nurse and grow by a few hundred pounds. We don't need to grow by a few hundred pounds, ever!
Could you imagine just popping a boob out and squirting it into a glass for someone's husband to drink? No.
I don't want to get too far down the rabbit hole here, because I can talk about this for daaaaaays.
What the dairy industry does to cows is despicable and what goes into the milk that is sold in the store is horrendous. And yes, even your “organic” milk is just that gnarly!
One of the best things you can do for the longevity of your life, your skin, your gut health, your weight loss struggles, is to eliminate dairy.
Dairy causes inflammation in the body, and when the body is inflamed it holds onto fat and doesn't let it go. Not to mention all the other havoc inflammation does to your body and health.
So now that I've either scared you or pissed you off, good! I want you to feel emotion over this because it's real, and it's your health we’re talking about here.
Let's get to it shall we?
5 Ways to cut dairy from your diet
- Decide and commit. There’s nothing harder than “trying” something without commitment, what’s the point then? Educating yourself on why this is a healthy choice will give you all the confidence in your decision. I recommend watching Cowspiracy and What The Health. Or reading Forks Over Knives cookbook.
- Pick 2 nights a week that you will make dinner without dairy. Yes, I said it, without cheese. You can do it! The following week increase it to 3 night a week and so on.
- Experiment with a meal you already love. Pick a cheese alternative and give it a shot if you are really struggling to let it go. Or if cheese isn’t your jam, then grab coconut yogurt, almond milk, etc… pick a cow’s milk replacement and experiment. I love sprinkling nutritional yeast on pasta and pizza to give it a cheddar taste, trust me, it’s good! There’s lots of vegan cheese alternatives out there. I like the brand I used here in this recipe.
- Pick 1 day a week where you will eat lunch without dairy, or if it’s breakfast that you consume the most dairy start there. The following week increase it to two days a week and so on.
- Have a plan. If you aren’t prepared it’s so much easier to revert back to what you know, it’s only natural. SO print out a cute menu template from Pinterest click here. And plan your week out so you are set up for success!!
I want to offer you a few dairy alternatives, but please be mindful to look at the sugar content on these products, I usually always buy unsweetened. Also, buy carrageenan FREE dairy alternatives, see this post to ready WHY you should avoid that ingredient.
- Milk: Almond milk, coconut milk, Ripple milk(made from yellow peas, it’s what I give Jack)
- Cheese: Vegan cheese substitutes (found at most every grocery store), Nutritional yeast.
- Yogurt: Coconut yogurt. I love this brand by So Delicious.
I hope you got some useful tips are are ready to tackle the dairy free life, one week at a time. If you are new to my blog I also have 5 ways to cut meat from your diet, click here, enjoy!!!